Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Rainmaker


I have been told that I have an active imagination...which is good I guess...except all I use it for is to lose myself in whatever movie I watch or book I read(fiction mind you, hard to lose yourself in Fixed Income Securities and RBI manuals).

The Rainmaker got me today. I hereby declare myself a fan of Francis Ford Capollo and Matt Damon (Big surprise huh?) unto death. I don't care if the two have screwed up in other movies (have they?) or plan to do so in the future...I love them for the heart and soul they put into this one. Books are usually better...is what I have experienced...but I haven't read any Grishams...so no clue.

Justice...it is a highly abused term. Every time I hear this word, screams of "Kanoon andha hai" reverbrate in my head ( too many dramatic moments in too many dramatic movies). Real life cases that have gained notoriety over my 22 years have left me disillusioned and caused me to lose faith in atleast the Indian judicial system (Ok...I'll cut out on the drama...to be fair to them...maybe we never hear about the "justice served and man hanged on time cases"...sigh...sensationalism sells).

Coming back to the movie...the sharp execution...the characters brought to life by amazing actors...it was breathtaking! Matt Damon...his eyes...that teared up just enough at the right places...his boyish innocence along with that look of sheer determination...the fumbling of a newbie lawyer...and then collecting himself and going ahead with it...learning on the job...it wasn't overdone one bit...that would have killed it. He was perfect...

And so was Danny De Vito...as the faithful sidekick-cum-valuable teacher! All of them actually!
Loved the "Good", loved to hate the "Bad", even the "Ugly" (The "judge" who died...and the boy's father... it was amazing...when he's shown going to his "comfort zone"..the car surrounded by cats...with a drink in that brown paper bag...it forces you to wonder...and realize...that the old man wasn't always a good for nothing drunkard...he just couldn't deal with the fact that he might lose his son, and was distancing himself from him in the only possible way he knew...when matt Damon wraps up his son's photograph in a brown bag and gives it to him on his funeral...it is heartwrenching)

And you know what else I liked about it...for once...they didn't portray the protagonist as a superhuman. There wasn't any "grey"...it was all black and white. If you stand up for something...you go all the way...If you don't think you can handle it...back off and do what you can do best...without "sacrificing" your love and your life. Make a difference in the best possible way in the given circumstances. That's what Rudy did when he quit his practice and went and settled with the love of his life, teaching what he loved most...he didn't compromise on anything...his personal life...or his profession...

Famous last lines......"Every lawyer, in every case, crosses a line he didn't mean to cross. It just happens. And if you cross it enough times, it disappears forever. Then you're nothing but a lawyer joke. Just another shark in the dirty water."

Just made me wonder what lines I had crossed so many times that it didn't matter anymore...sooo didn't like the answer.

3 comments:

icemanz_igloo said...

Its cappola and not cappolo... nice article btw...

anar said...

there are a lot of lines.. and they are as real or imaginary as the latitudes....
so if u see them then u must be.. ! ? :)

lostworld_me said...

I don't know what that makes me...but reading that comment I felt like the kid from Sixth Sense..."I can see dead people" :D

Total Pageviews