Friday, July 17, 2009

Moony All the Way...


"That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind".... 40 years ago on this very day Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin set foot on the moon(He got the name "Buzz" coz his little sister mispronounced Brother as Buzzer according to Wiki)!
I wasn't there 40 years ago ofcourse, but I remember obsessing over it during my I-was-born-to-Be-An-Astronaut phase. The feelings came right back when I visited the Planetarium here last Sunday...they were celebrating the Man on the Moon phenomenon all month...and had awesome setups...instruments...galaries ...and EVERYTHING about the Mars Pathfinder...instruments I could actually TOUCH...ancient astronomy lessons...ancient astronomy student diaries!!! It was a dream come true (except for their 3-D show..such a disappointment!)

The moon...an inspiration for poets...a hope for lovers (at least in the movies and all things theatrical)...a hope for the forlorn too (The moon and the stars are always the same wherever you go or whatever you are going through)...and I swear to God...because of the lack of pollution here.. it looks MUCH bigger and MUCH closer to earth from where I am... It is gorgeous ...
Remember the scene in Apollo Thirteen...Tom Hanks keeps playing hide and seek with the moon using his thumb...and then he comes close enough...but cannot land...could be a metaphor for a lot of things in a lot of lives...Afterall...at the end of the day...We all wish for the moon...

Anyhow...getting to the point...a deluge of media coverage going on here today (16th July)celebrating the 40th Birthday of the Mighty Footprint...so I thought I should have something to remember it with....Really don't know where I'll find the moon right now...so thought i'd write about it :)

1 comment:

Ruchir said...

This may be an interesting read .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUOItuKm5UE

Total Pageviews