Monday, February 1, 2016

Mondays

Image result for mondayHow did Monday transform into the most hated day of the week? Shouldn't it be the most exciting day technically? After all, the world returns recharged after the weekend, to take on brand new challenges and to the smell of new possibilities and all that?

I was talking to a coworker the other day, and she said that it's as if we only live for 2 days a week. The rest are spent doing things we just don't enjoy. It's mechanical, often dreary, and nearly everyday is the same at work. Wake up in the morning, rush to work, rush through emails, rush through meetings (and subsequent minutes), rush back home. This sort of existence can't be good for anyone!

And though Mark Manson wrote in this extremely illuminating article, that it's not necessary that your passion and your means of earning a living coincide (http://markmanson.net/passion), the fact that we spend so much time at work, makes you wonder if not doing what you love is worth it at all. (But then the salary check hits your account, and things are alright again for about 3 days :P.)

After being in the corporate world for over 6 years, I REALLY want to WANT to come to work in the morning. I want to wake up excited about what I do. And I want to earn a comfortable living doing just that. Is it too much too hope for? Maybe not. I'll tell you why.

If you read Mark's article, one thing leaps out at you.

"The problem isn’t passion. It’s never passion.
It’s priorities."
 
For instance, I know what I love best in this world is writing. I am no Shakespeare, but I do manage to write an engaging prose when I get down to it. How often do I get down to it? The last time I did it was 3 years ago. Did I not have time? Bullshit. I was lazy. Nothing else. In the amount of time I've wasted in the last 3 years, I could have churned out at least 2 books. You see what I mean?
 
Almost all of us know what we are good at. What we truly enjoy doing. Almost all of us make excuses to stay away from that. If that ain't stupid, I don't know what is.
 
Oh well. Leaving you with my favourite lines from the article (read it already!). If this won't get you started, nothing will :)
 
"A child does not walk onto a playground and say to herself, “How do I find fun?” She just goes and has fun."

No comments:

Total Pageviews