Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Hunger Games ..& Subsequent Reflections

The title says it all. I just finished the second book in the Hunger Games series, and am seriously taken with Peeta Meelark - his ability to be a decent human being in the worst of times is a beautiful and admirable quality - something so lacking on the world today.

The book takes you through a whirl wind of emotions. It thrills you, makes you emotional, makes you yearn for love, makes you re-think all that yearning - one helluva rollercoaster to say the least!

But that's true for all amazing books. What really got me thinking in this particular one was the painful and honest realisation that I don't really have a life skill. I'd have been skewered in the Hunger Games in the first 61st second! (For the uninitiated - nobody could make a move in the first 60 seconds).

I have always had dreams to learn about the stars, and herbs! I ignored the entire Astronomy class that I was enrolled in at Coursera because I just didn't have the energy on weekdays - and was a lazy bum on weekends. After reading this book, I solemnly swear I am going to work on some real skills rather than ones that are of no use to man or beast. I was born with so many talents - I am a classically trained singer and dancer, I draw well (and I don't mean my doodles), I can write without making English teachers cringe, I am good with languages, and as mentioned before - I have the gift of the gab... And what do I do with all of this? Well .. not much.
Here's to an exciting weekend spent in Panem with the Hunger Games!

No comments:

Total Pageviews